No one pays attention to their garage doors until they stop working.
Here are five safety rules adults should tell all young children.
- Doors are heavy – never stand, run, or play under or near any garage door, especially when the door is open or moving.
- Openers are for adults – never let children play with the button on the wall that opens and closes the garage door.
- Ouch! – Never touch any part of a moving garage door. Your fingers and hands can get badly hurt!
- Remotes are for adults – never let children play with the remote control in the car or on your keychain.
- Remember to keep pets and children away from moving garage doors and check your sensors to make sure they are properly aligned to ensure safety at all times.
“We encourage parents to teach their children that the garage door and garage door opener are not toys,” said IDA Managing Director Chris Long. “Whether a child is at home or at the house of a friend or relative, it’s important they understand that they should never play near or underneath a garage door. It is also important that they learn not to play with garage door opener remotes or button controls.”
Homeowners should always consider using a garage door professional when it comes to repairs and maintenance. A garage door system is comprised of many components, including springs and cables that are under extreme tension that can cause severe injury or even death if broken, tampered with, or mishandled.
Greeley Garage Door is available 24 hours per day for emergencies. We handle all other repairs, maintenance, and replacement within 24 hours.